SDSU Extension will host West River Field School next week near Sturgis; Certified Crop Advisor training credits available
SDSU Extension will host a West River Field School next week (June 29, 2022 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. MDT) at SDSU West River Research Farm near Sturgis.
The West River Field School will focus on the diverse nature of agriculture in western South Dakota and provide participants with the opportunity to learn in a hands-on environment with specialists from SDSU Extension. Educational credits for Certified Crop Advisors will be available during the day and reference material will be provided for attendees who wish to earn credits.
“The West River Field School is intended to provide ongoing training for crop advisors and growers in western South Dakota,” said Patrick Wagner, SDSU Extension Entomology Field Specialist. “Attendees will have the chance to receive hands-on field experience as well as the opportunity to network with SDSU Extension staff and other agriculture professionals.”
Presentations will cover the topics listed below, and an optional farm tour will be offered at the end of the day for all attendees.
- Precision Livestock – Jamie Brennan, Livestock Grazing Specialist SDSU Extension
- Soil Health – Jason Clark, Soil Fertility Specialist SDSU Extension and NRCS
- Climate Update – Laura Edwards, SDSU Extension State Climatologist
- Entomology – Patrick Wagner, SDSU Extension Entomology Field Specialist, and Phil Rozeboom, SDSU Extension IPM Coordinator
- Mesonet Demonstration and Ribbon Cutting – Nathan Edwards, Director of Mesonet, and Bill Gibbons, Director of the South Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station and Associate Dean for Research
- Wheat Research – Jon Kleinjan, SDSU Extension Agronomist, and Sunish Sehgal, Associate Professor and SDSU Winter Wheat Breeder
- Optional Farm Tour – Chris Graham, SDSU Extension Agronomist
Interested individuals should visit the SDSU Extension events page to register. Registration is free and a lunch will be offered to all participants. The West River Research Farm is located at 13370 Alkali Road, Sturgis, SD 57785.
For more information, contact Patrick Wagner, SDSU Extension Entomology Field Specialist at 605-394-1722 or [email protected]