Democratic Rep. Cuellar urges Biden admin to extend Title 42: ‘We need to listen to border communities’

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

As the Biden administration moves to lift the Title 42 public health order that allows expedited deportation of migrants due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas, is calling on Washington to pay attention to the reality at the border.

Cuellar, whose district includes part of the southern border, is one of many Democrats who oppose President Biden’s decision, and he told “Fox News Sunday” it could have serious repercussions.

58-MEMBER BIPartisan HOUSE PROBLEM-SOLVING CAUCUS SUPPORTS BILL TO EXTEND TITLE 42

“They are listening to immigration activists, but my question is who is listening to the men and women in green and blue, and especially who is listening to the border communities, the sheriffs, the landowners, the rest of the people who live at the border,” Cuellar said.

Cuellar said he recently spoke with people living near the border and that they were “very concerned” about the lifting of Title 42.

MID-TERM ELECTIONS: IMMIGRATION, TITLE 42 LEAVES DEMOCRATS IN ‘BAD SHAPE’, CAMPAIGN EXPERTS SAY

“We need to listen to border communities,” Cuellar said.

The congressman vindicated his constituents’ concerns by saying “this Title 42 waiving message is going to go straight to criminal organizations.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Earlier in the interview, Cuellar pointed out that 60% of Border Patrol agents don’t even work in the field at the border itself, but at border processing centers.

“It’s like having a school and we only teach with 40% of the teachers and the other 60% don’t teach,” Cuellar said. “That’s what we see, except it’s in law enforcement. So what we see is a large number of arrivals, messages are sent to smugglers and migrants that the May 23, you can go ahead and get in, and Border Patrol only works with 40% of its men and women.”

Comments are closed.